Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Have Nothing Nice To Say

Ok well I'm growing just a little bit frustrated. For some reason I cannot upload any pictures to my blogs. I go through the normal process of doing it, but when it's done nothing shows up. I've been reading some Blogger forums and I'm not the only one experiencing this right now. I also wrote an email to Blogger Support about this and I'm still waiting for a response. So I apologize in advance that there will be no pictures to stare at. Just words. Boring ass simple words.


*************


Speaking of nothing but words, I've grown into a habit of re-reading books that I had to read in high school and college. The reasoning behind it is that when reading a book in school I was reading it with the concept of having to pass the test that would be given on it.

Instead of reading them to actually read and enjoy the book I would read them more to look for things I felt my teacher would ask questions about on the test.

Well I didn't enjoy The Great Gatsby while I was reading it for school, and I still don't enjoy it now that I'm reading it for pleasure.

I just don't see why this book is considered an American literary classic. It's boring. There's no real concept of who these people are either. Fitzgerald tells you where these characters came from, but gives you no insight into who they actually are.

I don't know, I just think it's horribly overrated.


*************


So last night at work I had to deal with sobbing employees.

Apparently Libby took exception to some of our Jewel co-workers taking their break in our Osco lunchroom. Vic and Anthony eat in our breakroom with me and Greg cuz we're friends, and we generally always order food together. Libby doesn't like it for some reason.

On Tuesday she complained to me about it after a bunch of us ate while she was having her lunch too. There are 2 tables in our breakroom. On Tuesday night Vic, Anthony, Rob, Naomi, John and I all ate dinner together. Vic, Anthony, Rob, and I all huddled around one table, while John sat at the edge of the table Libby was at. Naomi didn't even sit at a table. She sat in a chair and ate her salad out of her lap.

Libby complained she had no room at her table. It was only her at the table, with John at the end. Most of the table was covered in greeting cards that Libby had been working with. (One of Libby's jobs is running our greeting card section) She also complained we left a mess, which I for a fact no we didn't. I cleaned up our table myself after we were finished like I always do.

Apparently John left an empty fry container on his table, and this is more than likely cuz John is generally the person I have to clean up after. Well Libby took great offense to this.

So last night when Anthony returned from Burger King with our dinner Vic, Anthony and Rob all headed to the breakroom. I was busy up front doing a return, while Greg was finishing whatever he was working on before heading upstairs.

Well from what I've been told when Vic first got upstairs Libby asked him "What's wrong with your breakroom?" Vic told her nothing was wrong with it, he just chose to eat in ours with us.

Again Libby asked him why, and Vic told her that basically he's in charge of the store (which he is) and that he'll eat anywhere he wants. He then told her she could feel free to eat on the Jewel side anytime. Even telling her she could eat in his office at his desk if she so desired.

Libby kept asking him more questions though, and according to Vic every time he would start to answer she would interrupt him with another question. (Knowing Libby, I'd say that that's got a probability of being 99.99999999999% true.) So eventually Vic got tired of being interrogated and said, "You know what? You're nuts. I'm done with this conversation."

Libby then left the breakroom in a huff apparently. So I get upstairs after all this and eat. Vic tells me what happened while I was downstairs and immediately I think to myself "Shit."

See, Libby has been acting kind of strange lately. She's generally always been a fun loving type. I would give her shit and she gave it right back. She likes to refer to me as "an annoying mosquito buzzing by my ears."

Greg had always had the same type of relationship with her. Well a few weeks ago Libby and Greg were having their normal back and forth when Greg said "Oh go back to Czechoslovakia!" Greg had probably said that to her a million times before, but for whatever reason that time it got to her. She literally broke out into tears and asked Greg why he's always so mean to her.

Greg sat there in complete shock, as I probably would have too.

Libby hasn't spoken to Greg since, unless she absolutely has to.

Back to last night.

Libby is working the camera counter while I'm upstairs eating. She calls me down to get a return. So I go down there and the whole time I'm doing this return for a customer Libby is standing there with her back to me. She wouldn't look at me, or talk to me.

I didn't even do anything.

So after break I go to Libby and ask her what's wrong, and she bursts into tears again. She tells me that Vic yelled and screamed at her and called her crazy, ignorant, and stupid. She says she feels terrified and threatened by him now.

So anyway I then go to Vic and ask him exactly what he said to her. After I told him what she said he said he was surprised. He says he never once raised his voice, and while he admits calling her nuts he never said she was stupid or ignorant.

There HAS to be something going on in Libby's personal life that is affecting her at work. I just don't know what else it could be, but frankly I don't want to have to deal with it. Keep in mind that while all this is going on last night, I have a 5 pallet load in the backroom that already came in 3.5 hours late that I have to get out before I leave.

I'm officially having my title changed from Supervisor to Supervisor/Babysitter tonight.


*************


Can somebody please explain to me why ESPN feels the need to televise the Scripps National Spelling Bee? For Christ's sake hey are broadcasting it in Hi-Def!!!!!!

Who the hell is actually watching this thing?

If you are watching it, and you don't have a child or family member competing in it you really need to start re-evaluating your life.

It's ridiculous. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S. Ridiculous.


*************


The White Sox got shutout for the first time this season last night, 5-0 in Cleveland. Losing is going to happen during a baseball season, but it's still a little frustrating. The team we trail, the Detroit Tigers, have now lost 3 games in a row. We are 1-2 in that span so we haven't been able to capitalize on the Tigers struggles this week and reclaim first place.

Then again, it's June 1st.



*************


Here's something I just know my friends are going to want to participate in.


*************


This is where today's Picture of the Day would go if I could actually post pictures right now.

Keepin It Real Since 1980,
Tom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)))))
Happy to see you!

Incidently The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels from my "salad days"...the fresh crisp green (=money) days of youth....you need to get into Fitzgeralds symbolism to really enjoy (or even get) it. Like the billboard guy (=God) watching over East Egg (the born into chosen eastern society...high class) and West Egg(the lowly scummy regular Joes). The point of it is that the West eggs are more honest and filled with grace than the 'established' soceity folk and the tragedy of Gatsby...seeking to join a corrupt class he can never enter...he thinks its money and he shines his green (=money)lite off his pier as his homiage to it. Oh well, I digress...love seeing you at FTF.

Anonymous said...

"I have nothing nice to say..."

"

Anonymous said...

i should re-read "Of Mice and Men"

aray

t said...

poor Libby. run over to the pharmacy, im sure they have something to make her feel better.

and tell her ty, at least we know where you work now