Monday, May 29, 2006

Happy Memorial Day

On Memorial Day I can't help but think of my grandpa.

I miss him very much. Sunday afternoon I went to the opening of a new Italian-American Veterans Museum that was just opened at the Italian-American Cultural Center in Stone Park, Illinois.

Part of the exhibit was my grandpa. There is a plaque that tells the story of him at Guadalcanal. He killed 13 Japanese snipers that were terrorizing his unit.

He did it alone.

My grandpa was a great man and I wish that at some point in my life I could be half the man that he was. Even until the day he died I don't think there was ever a point in my life where he couldn't have kicked my ass.

A funny story that I always remember was when a large storm knocked a tree over in the yard that crashed into the back porch and into part of the house.

Of course I went over there to help clean up, and he told me to be careful.

"There's a lot of loose nails sticking out of the boards out there. Don't step on any."

I was out there for no longer than 5 minutes before I did just that. Went right through my boot and into the bottom of my right foot, just below the big toe.

I was scared to go inside and tell him. Mostly cuz I was crying, and I didn't want him to see me cry.

It wasn't so much fear of him, as much as it was fear I might lose his respect. I was stupid that way. There's no way in hell my grandpa would ever think less of me no matter what I did. He was a tough guy, but also a loving caring man, who absolutely adored his grandchildren.

I adored him too, and I wish he was still here.

Happy Memorial Day grandpa. I love you.

No comments: