Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming

I love long weekends. Especially when I actually get to have a couple of those days off from work. Memorial Day was the first holiday (Besides Christmas) that I have had off since I don't know when.

I still get paid for the day either way, so it's nice to get paid for doing nothing once in a while. Though there are some who would argue that that's precisely what I do for a living anyway.


I would also like to add that I have another grandpa who is a war veteran too. After I read my post yesterday I was mad at myself for not mentioning him. Yesterday I talked of my father's dad, Orlando Fornelli. My mother's father, Tom Laughland was a paratrooper in the British infantry.

One exhibit in the Italian-American Veteran's Museum that was from my grandpa was the rifle he took from a Japanese sniper after killing him in hand to hand combat. My dad had the rifle under his bed while I was growing up. When nobody was home I used to take it out and play soldier around the house. I would go in the living room, dive and roll onto the ground and pop up over the couch firing.

I wasn't killing the Nazi's or the Japs though. I think I was killing Foot Soldiers to help out Leo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michaelangelo.

I was a Pre-Teenage Mutant Ninja Dago.

One thing that was on the rifle that wasn't on it when we had it was the bayonet. I'm lucky it wasn't on the gun at home cuz if it had been I can assure you my sister would have killed me with it. (She had a thing for stabbing me. I have scars to prove it.)


I don't know if a lot of you know about this TV show Most Haunted. It's on the Travel Channel (The same channel that has the World Poker Tour.) Anyway the premise of the show is that a crew of people spend 24 hours in supposedly haunted places. The show is based in England, so therefore most locations are there.

There's the host, Yvette Fielding, a couple psychics, Derek Acorah and David Wells, and a crew of others who do all the investigating. There's also the resident skeptic who at the end of each episode tells you what everything you saw or heard probably was.

Still there's some cool stuff in there, like TV's turning off and on in rooms while members of the crew sleep caught on tape. In one episode on the Queen Mary while one guy is sleeping in what's supposed to be the most haunted room on the ship, you hear the voice of a little girl talking for a second or two.

I'm addicted to this show. It might all be real, it's more likely fake, but I don't care. It's entertaining. It's on Friday nights at 8 Central I think. If you get a chance and you're into this kinda stuff check it out sometime.


Any of you who regularly read my blog or sports column know how upset I was when Cleveland fans booed Jim Thome when he returned to Cleveland for the first time at the beginning of this month.

The man was the most liked Cleveland Indian during his time there, and the fans turned on him cuz the franchise lowballed him. (Yet when Frank Thomas returned to Chicago he recieved standing ovations even AFTER hitting 2 home runs.)

Well it was really nice to see Jim return to Cleveland again yesterday, again to boos, but this time with an answer.

Not one.....

But two home runs.

The White Sox would win 11-0.

I know you're gonna buy this album. Who are you trying to kid?


Sunday night Silvio expressed shock that I had not included this baby picture of our good friend The Leemer as a picture of the day. So in honor of Silvio I give you today's Picture of the Day, straight from The Leemers First Photo Album.


That's just precious.

Keepin It Real Since 1980,

Tom

No comments: