Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

Well for the second time this week I get to be Mexican for a day. On Monday I didn't go to work, and today I have to go to work.

Wait that sucks.

Why the hell couldn't the protest have included making the Mexican
Independence Day a National American holiday? You wanna make progress in this country for the Mexican people that's how you do it. Give whitey another day off work.

Scholars argue over what exactly the phrase "Cinco de Mayo" means, but I think it's "Hold the mayo."

Cinco de Mayo actually reminds me of a fun story from high school. It was also on May 5th that year, and after school Silvio had an idea. We went driving through Stone Park (a suburb with a large Mexican population) in his Buick Century with USA painted on the rear windshield in red white and blue, while flying an American flag out of the window. It was fun and scary all at the same time. We didn't do it as a protest or anything, we just did it cuz it sounded funny when he thought of it.


My good friend Panger is going under the knife today for some shoulder surgery. She's got some tears in her rotator cuff that she needs to get fixed. She'll be ok after some long rehab, but the poor girl will never throw in the Majors again.

In honor of her though on this special Friday, I will once again do the Random Friday 10. If you aren't sure what that is go here. I don't feel like explaining it again.

  1. Pac Bell-(Hed)pe
  2. Happens All The Time-Cold
  3. Encore-Jay Z
  4. Attack-System of a Down
  5. I Wish I Knew What I Know Now-Mark Mothersbaugh
  6. Under My Umbrella-Incubus
  7. Hating-Korn
  8. Under the Bridge-Red Hot Chili Peppers
  9. Forty Six and Two-Tool
  10. 5th Symphony 1st Movement-Beethoven

Favorite Song-Pac Bell. At the time I first heard it lets just say it was good for my soul.

Least Favorite Song-Happens all the time. I just don't like Cold's new album that much. Kinda cookie cutter.

Favorite Album-Morningview-Incubus


The Bulls lost last night.

Before the series started I said Heat in 6, so at least I got that part right. Doesn't make it any better though.

The Bulls have a good young team, but Miami has the better team. If you can stop Shaq, you get hurt by Wade, stop Wade, hurt by Shaq. Stop both and Antoine Walker, James Posey, and Jason Williams rain three pointers all night.

The biggest difference from games 5+6 compared to the first 4 was that Miami actually started playing defense. They hadn't been doing that.

On the plus side there is more excitement in this city right now about the NBA and the Bulls than I have seen or heard in a LONG time. So that's a good thing. Especially when you consider what the Bulls have this offseason with the 2 first round picks, and a lot of cap space. Throw that in with a growing young nucleus and you have to think we'll be back in it again next season.

Also yesterday the White Sox won again, and became the first team in the majors to 20 wins. They were also the first team to 20 last year, and 30, 40, 50 , 60, 70, 80, and the Cardinals beat us to 90.

Jose Contreras has won 13 straight starts and HASN'T LOST SINCE LAST AUGUST. He was the pitcher of the month in September 2005 and April 2006. If they had one he'd have won it for October too.

Best pitcher in baseball right now. Hands down. Give him the Cy Young already.


Speaking of the White Sox, guess what I got in the mail yesterday.


Ain't it purty? Of course Joe Crede celebrated me getting the jersey yesterday making a circus catch in foul territory during the White Sox win.

There are some new photos from the Army of Darkness Barcrawl posted over on the McCahill's Blog. Go on over there and check em out if you like. I'm only in one of them, and only in the background.

Cameras are intimidated by my rugged good looks.

Also from the Barcrawl we have another item. Much thanks to Kevin and Joseph for sending this to me simultaneously.

The student paper at the U. of Illinois is the Daily Illini, and it features a police blotter. Interesting story in the blotter this week.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Tom Angelini.
In other news I got an answer to my question about the Dog Whisperer from Wednesday's South Park. Apparently he is a real person, and it is a real show. I know this cuz you have to be a
real person to get sued. Well I think so anyway, our legal system gets pretty stupid sometimes.

I shall now leave you with our Song of the Day. Have a happy Cinco de Mayo, and a good weekend. I'll be working all through mine.

Bright Eyes - First Day Of My Life

Keepin It Real Since 1980,

Tom

No comments: