Monday, May 08, 2006

Case of the Mondays

Ah Monday. One of the most hated days by Americans cuz it's generally the first day of the work week. It makes me think of the line from Office Space,

"Looks like somebody has a case of the Mondays!"

I don't much relate to that sensation. Monday is generally my day off. Tuesday is my Monday.

Isn't this all supremely entertaining? Anyway I spend my Monday's generally doing all the stuff I need to get done for the upcoming week, and that I didn't get done over the weekend.

As far as what I didn't get done over the weekend, that means everything. I had to work from 4-midnight both Friday and Saturday nights, followed by a quick turnaround in which I had to be back at work at 8AM on Sunday.

Talk about a way to mess up somebody's social life. Have them work late Friday and Saturday, then make em get up with like 3 hours sleep for Sunday. As a result I spent most of Sunday evening napping in my chair while the NBA playoffs aired in the background.


So I needed something to do to kill time between loads of laundry, so I decided I would play some poker today. I don't play very often at all anymore, but today I just had the itch. So after playing for about 5 hours in a series of sit and go's and tournaments I made $7!!! I even have a graph to prove it.


$7 in cold hard electronic cash.

Also I've done something new while playing. I know a lot of people who read my blog here are people I met through Full Tilt Forum. Well you all probably have noticed that I never post there anymore, and I never even really read the forum.

It's not that I don't like you guys, it's just that I don't want poker to consume so much of my time like it was for awhile. So what I have done is I've taken out the social aspect of my game entirely. I don't go to the forum, and I have all chat turned off while I play at the tables. So if you've been at my table and said hi, or were railbirding me, and I never responded don't take it personally. I'm not talking to anybody.

I've found it to be a very helpful change to my game. See that $7 I won? Well the proof is in the pudding isn't it?

That's some $7 pudding too, so you know it tastes good.


The White Sox won yesterday against Kansas City. Bet you'll never guess who got the game winning hit.

That's right.

Joey Clutch aka Joe Crede.

The Royals intentionally walked Konerko to get to Joe and I laughed in their faces. Paulie was like 2-10 in the series and they walk him to get to Joey Clutch.

Idiots.

I know that people who don't watch the White Sox on a regular basis probably don't realize that Joe Crede is pretty close to a 100% success rate at the plate with the game on the line.

The Royals have no excuse though. It was Crede on Friday night after all who hit a grand slam off of Elmer Dessens.

Guess who they had pitching Sunday to face Crede?

Elmer Dessens.

So let's see. You have one of the most clutch hitters in the game on deck, and you have the guy who gave up a grand slam to him 2 days ago walk a struggling hitter to get to him.

Guess we know why the Royals are 7-22.

Also I love Joe Crede, I wouldn't have his jersey if I didn't, and so do Sox fans. Sox TV announcer Hawk Harrelson though I do believe is madly in love with the man. It gets kinda creepy listening to Hawk talk about Joe during a game. On any routine play he acts like Joe Crede just saved the world from the brink of destruction all while curing cancer.

Hawk, you're right, he IS awesome, but you don't have to tell us that everytime he ties his shoes.

"Did you see the double knot he has there? He's awesome."

In other NOT GOOD White Sox news word is that Jose Contreras is about to go on the disabled list. He tweaked his lower back in his bullpen session today.

It's never NEVER good when your Ace gets hurt. See Mark Prior, Kerry Wood. Still I'm not losing it over this development for 4 reasons:

  1. Mark Buehrle
  2. Javier Vazquez
  3. Freddy Garcia
  4. Jon Garland

We're gonna be bringin up a knuckleballer, Charlie Haeger, from AAA Charlotte to start for Jose on Wednesday against the Anaheim Angels. Apparently that knuckleball of his must be good cuz all he's done so far this season in Charlotte is go 3-0 with a 0.68 ERA with 31 strikeouts in 40 innings.

Last but not least when it comes to the Sox, I noticed something funny about the Kansas City Royals lineup Sunday, and I wrote about it on my column. Check it out if ya like.


Picture of the Day


Song of The Day

MC Hammer - 2 Legit 2 Quit

Keepin It Real Since 1980,

Tom

No comments: